Sunday, April 11, 2010

Distraction

While reading today in a new book I just got at the new Deseret Book flagship store (across from Temple Square), I came across a paragraph that rang a little too familiar to me.

“When things of the world crowd in, all too often the wrong things are allowed to take highest priority. Then it is easy to forget the fundamental purpose of life. Satan has a powerful tool to use against good people, those who are committed to a worthy, righteous life, who want to do good and intend to make the most of this life. His tool is distraction. He has an extensive array of undeniably good things that are used to keep us from doing the essential ones. Have you noticed that when you begin to focus on something truly important, something of eternal significance, there often come thoughts of other good things to distract you? Satan promotes distraction. He would have good people fill life with ‘good things’ so there is no room for the ‘essential ones.’ Have you unconsciously been caught in that trap?” (Finding Peace, Happiness, And Joy, Elder Richard G. Scott, Deseret Book, 2007, p.10)

Time and time again I am reminded of the clarity with which the Apostles of the Lord understand mortality and the plan of salvation.

How often do things of importance, but of lesser importance, impede us from doing that which is essential to ours or others’ eternal progression?

How do we overcome this? May I recommend Elder Dallin H. Oaks' talk: Good, Better, Best

2 comments:

Gwen said...

I am far too easily distracted. I guess I better work on that.

Lisa said...

Christopher you are awesome. I love your posts! And you thought you needed more to go with your quote... Silly! It was fine. You are one smart dude. Love ya!
-Lisa